How was your 4th of July?

Friday, July 10, 2009

Sup people? It's been a while? How was everyone's 4th of July? I hope ya'll had a great one. I know I did. My girlfriend, Ranya and her boyfriend James were nice enough to invite us to their lake house and party it up for the weekend. We had a blast!!! We did a little of everything. We went to what James and his gang like to call "the beach" Its really not a beach, its a spot on the San Bernard river that is low enough to just chill and hang out. So we did that, some wakeboarding, tubing and of course its not 4th of July if you don't have some "DRANK"...lol Anyhow, thanks James & Ranya for the invite, we had a great time!


So here is some more interesting news going on in my world.... As I said before I finally graduated with an Interpreting degree yet I haven't tested :( I've started to study but geez now I know why the failing rate is 80%!! I will continue to study hard before I even dare take that test. I don't want to pay each time I test, I wanna pay one time and pass on the first try. Wish me luck!

However, an old teacher of mine has really kept me in the loop for a few side jobs. On August 1st I will be interpreting my first wedding :) I will actually sign a speech the bride and groom prepared, I did ask that I get to review it before the actual wedding day. I would hate to mess up something so special. Now, you would think that's the neat part, right? ...but it gets better!! I will be interpreting an Indian wedding!! I'll get to see all the awesome dresses, jewelry and best of all... the fun bollywood dancing! I can't wait. I wish they would ask me to dress in their traditional dresses cause I've always wanted to wear one! This will truly be an experience.

The next day I am doing another project for Dr.Poorna Kushalnagar(the teacher who's giving me the side jobs) I will be assisting with a research she is conducting to find better ways for hearing parents to communicate with their deaf child, at an early age. Most hearing parents don't find out their child is deaf until the age of 1-2 years old. Which means the parents have wasted time trying to learn Sign Language and teach the language to their child as well. Get this though, there will be Hispanic parents who don't speak any English and are trying to learn Sign Language. Not sure how that will work being they don't have the basic understanding of the English language period yet they are trying to learn Sign Language to be able to communicate with their Deaf child. Anyhow, my job will not be easy, I will have to go from speaking English, Spanish and then signing!!! I'm looking forward to it though. This will be my first real interpreting job with pay so that's even more exciting.(aside the learning experience)

So everyone wish me luck, as I start to involve myself (a lot more) in the Deaf world!

1 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats twin on all your new endeavors and most of all I know you will do great! As for you test...I know the feeling and just do your best and God will take care of the rest. Best of luck!