First Interview for Sign Language Interpreter

Friday, April 17, 2009

So I got a call from Aldine ISD to come in for a job interview....

I never really applied for a position, it sort of all "just happened" I happen to be on an assignment for a deaf woman who was applying for a teachers aide position and I was the assigned interpreter. While I was there the man interviewing asked if I was interested in a job with the school district as an interpreter. I told him I was still an intern but he asked for my contact information anyway. Now that happened in February so I didn't think much of it till I got a call from "Tom"(we'll use this name in place of his real name)



When I received a call from Tom, he said he'd like for me to come in and fill out some paperwork so we can get things started and interview. We set up this appointment for Wednesday, April 15 @ 4pm. I asked to leave work early, got my uncle Marvin to review my resume, curled my hair and wore a professional outfit. So here I am, all ready for what I thought would be a GREAT opportunity for me only to find out that good ol' Tom was not in the office but at a "substitute teacher conference" I politely ask the receptionist who else I can speak with because he specifically told me Wednesday @4pm. No one knew what the hell I was talking about. Finally the man who I met in February comes out and talks to me for a bit and takes my resume to the woman over the DEAF EDUCATION DEPARTMENT. He comes back asking where my certificate was?... Again, I politely answered that I was still in school and DO NOT graduate until May and will test in December for my certification(mind you I had repeated the same story like 10x now) At this point I'm really getting irritated. One because I used vacation time to go on this interview, Two because no one knew what was going on and Three I wasted a nice outfit!

Anyhow, he proceeds to ask me questions about my college hours, credits ..etc and then he tries to con me into taking a job in his life skills department. Of course, he saw the "expired" certificate I have from like 4yrs ago,(that I got from my old job) and yes I can work with life skill kids but its not what I'm looking for. As we continue our "POINTLESS" conversation, he starts talking about pay. He tells me that if I decide to work with the deaf ed department that I'll only make $10.50 an hour but if I work with the life skills department then I can make up to $11.50. I'm thinking, " Do I jump with glee now or later?" How about NEVER!!! First of all if I'm going to take a pay cut like this its because my job will be in Katy and I will no longer have to pay for toll,(2x a mth=160.00) spend less on gas and less wear and tear on my vehicle! Since obviously driving out to Aldine will not be saving me in none of those things then the experience is not even worth it. I'll have to drive further and for less money. ....

With that said, I said thank you for the opportunity. I will be in touch! Well its more like, I will not be in touch with Aldine ISD and I will continue my search for an opportunity in another school district. So everyone keep your fingers crossed and please pray that Katy ISD calls me so I can be closer to home :)

0 comments: